How can it affect your workflow?
How can the process of uploading documents be made more efficient?
December 10, 2019
You might be thinking, “Why should I worry about how I upload my documents?” The truth is, it’s not typically something we think about until it becomes a problem.
The faster your upload speed to the Cloud, the sooner you can begin taking advantage of universal access and increased security. As a result, the software you use for uploading can have a significant positive or negative effect on your workflow. Uploading a document to an online repository is pretty straightforward in most cases. However, there are many easily overlooked factors at play when it comes to transferring your files to the Cloud such as:
- Your Internet Connection Speed: This can have a major effect on your upload success. However, the blame for a slow upload isn’t entirely on your shoulders. Some cloud-based systems have inefficient methods for transferring data stalling your migration even further. Comparisons between common cloud platforms often show discrepancies in file upload times.
- File Size: Many platforms have restrictions on how large a file or folder can be for uploading. Sometimes cloud providers will throttle your upload speed based on the tier of service you have purchased as well.
- Naming Conventions and File Types: Using unusual special characters such as question marks or vertical bars (|) can sometimes cause uploads to fail. Likewise, having extra periods at the end of a name or incorrect file extensions can cause frustrating errors or data corruption. Additionally, be sure the types of documents you want to upload are supported by your content management platform.
- File Indexing and Organization: Does your cloud software intelligently categorize your files? Being able to easily search for and retrieve documents is important. Take the time to learn how your chosen platform will organize your files and determine whether a keyword search will actually search within the documents themselves. With many platforms, you will need to carefully organize your data and alter file names before upload to ensure you can find it later.
- Labor Commitment: When migrating to the Cloud you will want to consider how much time is involved in transferring your data. If your documents are still in paper format this becomes even more challenging. In that case, considerable manpower will need to be devoted to scanning, indexing, and uploading content. Even when your documents are already in a digital format, if you have massive archives of information, it can take a lot of energy to oversee the transfer of your files. This can be a great opportunity or outsourcing. Often it’s cheaper, more accurate, and faster to hire a 3rd party than to pay even a single employee for the many months (or years!) it takes to fully migrate.
Why Are My Uploads So Slow?
When you have massive amounts of data to move, slow uploads can be incredibly frustrating. It’s even more discouraging when an upload fails halfway through, forcing you to backtrack to see what successfully transferred and what didn’t.
Often times the issue lies with your internet speed, which isn’t usually equipped to handle such a massive flow of data. Large data migrations are best left to professionals like DOMA who are equipped to securely and quickly transfer massive volumes of digital or paper records.
Agility When Uploading
When uploading a document sometimes you find you need to make minor adjustments. Often this means going back to the original file on your hard drive, making alterations, and then overwriting the previously uploaded file. This can be time-consuming and tedious, especially if the change is needed across a large volume of records. However, in answer to this problem some platforms will allow you to make changes to a file when/after you upload it, such as rearranging pages, merging multiple documents, or adding metadata. Being able to make modifications directly after upload allows you to clean up your data without the need to delete and re-upload files.
Why A Flexible Solution Matters
The issue concerning metadata has unique implications for businesses who need to track their data but it’s especially important for government entities. For example, the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) deadline to comply with mandate M-19-21 is approaching rapidly. The main requirement to transition to electronic document management to the fullest extent possible sounds simple but requires a fundamental and disruptive shift in operations. A sub-point of this mandate is that all electronic documents that are transferred to NARA for archiving must be tagged with appropriate metadata. DOMA’s scanning and software services allow metadata to be applied easily and intuitively to large volumes of documents, but this isn’t always the case with other content services platforms.
Uploading Documents on DOMA's DX Software
All Content Services Platforms will offer you the ability to upload a document, but not all are created equally. With DOMA’s DX Software Document Uploading is easy and customizable.
When uploading documents in our DX Software you can:
- Upload most file types including most document, image, video, and audio files.
- Upload documents straight into the folder you want them in for easy organization.
- Configure the types of files you want to be able to upload into the system. For instance, you could exclude video or audio files from your upload if you didn’t need them.
- Upload multiple files at one time.
- Merge multiple documents into one and control the order they are displayed.
- Rotate your documents after upload if they come in oriented incorrectly.
- Once a document is uploaded/updated it is then automatically indexed/re-indexed so the latest document is searchable with our Advanced Search function.
- Show a preview of the document and the pages before you commit anything to the system.
- Controlling the document page order is now easier. You can now drag and drop to change the page order instead of having to upload them in the correct order.
With our DX Software, your documents are ready to go after the upload process. At DOMA we know that where you store your documents is important. Therefore our DX Software is available in Amazon Web Services (AWS); the market leader in secure, durable, and scale-able Cloud Services. We keep your documents secure and easy to access when you need them.
About DOMA- Powered by Tech, Driven by People
DOMA Technologies (DOMA) is a software development and digital transformation company whose mission is to change customer lives by lightening their workload through faster and more targeted access to their data. Since 2000, our team of 200+ experts has helped businesses navigate all aspects of the digital world. We are a dedicated strategic partner for the federal government and private sector clients at every stage of their unique digital transformation journey.
Learn more about DOMA’s DX Software